It has been quite some time since I updated my blog. I just find myself much busier with two babies. I know you mothers can testify to that. We had an awesome summer and it seemed way too short eventhough it was one of the longest. With the exception of one week, I was off from the beginning of April until August 17th. Needless to say, it was tough leaving the boys this time. We did lots of fun things this summer including a trip to North Carolina, Las Vegas (of course!), and West Palm Beach. I will post more on those later. Here is the first update.
Referring to the title of this post, yes my friends I can cross one off of the list of things I'd love to do before I die. I (or should I say we) were fortunate enough to meet Dave Matthews a few weeks back in Tampa. The concert was on a Wednesday night. A few nights before on Monday, our house phone rang. It looked like a sales call so I just ignored it. Brad was in the other room and looked at that phone and thought the same thing. He was in the process of giving the phone to Drew to answer as bells were ringing in my head telling me, "hey that's the Dave Matthews Band Warehouse." I barely beat Drew to answering the phone. Thank goodness I did and on the other line was Ann from the warehouse (fan club) telling me I was chosen for a meet & greet for Wednesday night's show. Brad & I were excited, then thought what the heck are we going to say to him? As many of you know, we have have planned our vacations around going to concerts all around the country the last 12 years. Honestly, I can't tell you how many concerts we have been to, but let's see it includes, Orlando, Tampa (every year), West Palm Beach (many times), Atlanta, New York, Houston, Seattle, Hollywood, CA (twice), Irvine (CA), San Diego, and Los Angeles. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Anyway, in our minds we were already thinking we have messed this up once before and we can't do it again. You see, while I was pregnant with Drew, we drove to New York to see 2 concerts in Saratoga Springs, NY. After the concerts, Brad & I went to NYC for a few days to sightsee. It just so happens that we were walking down Park Avenue and both of us happen to look up and see Dave Matthews. We both just looked at each other as if we were both saying is that really who we think it is? I remember saying, "yes" to Brad. Dave was talking on his cell phone and made eye contact with me. He odviously knew from the looks on our faces that we were fans and stuck his hand out to shake Brad's hand. We didn't seize the moment and try to have a conversation with him. I wouldn't let Brad and besides it wouldn't be cool. :-) When we got back to our hotel, we were kicking ourselves.
Anyway, I figured out what we would tell him. Besides, we couldn't act like we were giddy 15 year olds meeting a rock star. We had to play it cool and act like the thirty something parents of two that we are. We decided to tell him of how we became fans. It is an interesting story and he found great humor in it. You see, back when Brad & I first started dating in 1996 he decided that he would buy me Hootie & the Blowfish tickets for part of my Christmas present. He went to get tickets that morning (back in the day when you stood in line) and won the lottery for first pick of tickets. The man told him he had 2nd row tickets, awesome seats, etc. Brad was excited, BUT when he looked at them afterwards it was for an acoustic evening with Dave Matthews. He didn't know who that was and asked the man. Well long story short Brad got in the wrong line. :-) He explained to me the story as I was opening my gift. I wondered who Dave Matthews was and remembered thinking I saw a guy at Florida Southern wearing a shirt with the bands name on it. That was all I had seen or heard of this guy. Brad went and bought us a tape (yes, a tape) and we listened to it. Not too bad. Well, it was an amazing concert and thus the start of our DMB journey and traveling days. He thought that was the most interesting story of how someone became fans.
He was extremely nice and made you feel comfortable. This first thing he said to me was I looked like one of his friends from Louisanna. Then after he asked our names, he made the Brad & Jen (Pitt/Aniston) reference. Silly, I guess. He is just a real nervous guy.
It was an amazing night and something that I can cross off my list!
Enjoy the pics!



5 comments:
I had wondered how you two were such big fans! wow, you've been all over the country for him??? did you not make it to the concert at Florida Southern with him? i barely remember anything about it but i think it was free..it was my first year at FSC. very cool pics!
Did you tell him how you guys plan your vacations around his concerts?? What an awesome experience Jen!
You lucky ducks! I'm still sitting here with my jaw open. I'm glad you were able to play it cool on the outside and keep the giddy 15 year olds bottled up :)
That is amazing!! I know a guy who drove Dave's band and I have a great story that almost got the whoel band arrested! I'll tell you next time I see you.
Hey Jen,
Nice seeing all the photos of your beautiful little family!!
God bless you and the boys,
Love, Robin/Halo.
Post a Comment